Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission from the sale if you click through and purchase.
All of the Sewn Home Series quilt patterns have perfect blocks to make pillows. Today I am sharing how I made this quilted Playroom Quilt pillow using my leftover pieces from my throw size quilt. If you can believe it.. I finished this entire pillow during ONE of the boys' naps. (Whaaaat?!?)
I really hate wasting fabric and I REALLY hate wasting quilt blocks. When I finished this throw size Playroom Quilt I had exactly enough blocks leftover to make this 18" x 18" pillow. It's the perfect little accent.
- Playroom Quilt Pattern (you will need nine blocks)
- 20" x 20" piece of batting
- ½ yard of fabric for back of your pillow
- Two strips of prepared binding
- 18" x 18" pillow form
- From your pillow back fabric, Cut ( 1 ) 13" x WOF; subcut to ( 2 ) 18 ½" x 13" pieces
- Start with your leftover blocks or whip up a few if you are just making a pillow. Shift them around until you get a layout you like. Here are the layouts I played with until I landed on the one I loved best!
- Sew the front of your pillow together. I chain pieced mine! Read more about that here.
- Baste your pillow front to your batting and quilt as desired. I chose to do a 45 degree 1" square pattern. It was easiest to mark it all out with my hera marker and then quilt it.
- Grab your pillow back pieces. Press one of the 18 ½" edges over ¼". Wrap the edge over again 1" and press again. Sew along the edge to create a finished edge. Repeat on the other piece as well. (This nifty pressing ruler helps!)
- Place all your layers together with right sides facing out (just as your completed pillow will be!) The two back pieces will overlap to become your envelope opening for your insert. Pin all these layers together.
- Sew on your binding like you would on your quilt. I sewed my binding onto the front side of the pillow and hand stitch it down at the back (just as you would do on a quilt). Complete your binding however you would like and you're done!
If you make a Playroom Quilt Pillow share it with me on Instagram! This is the perfect accessory if you are making this as a gift for someone. I can't wait to see what you make!
Here is a lumbar pillow that another quilter made. Check it out! I love this version by Mary Jo (@arkansas_t_shirt_quilts) She told me she reduced the size of her blocks to 4 ½".
You might also enjoy these blog posts: